One Sunday, 1:00-3:30 pm
Meets April 18, via Zoom
Beauty in imperfection -- this is the very heart and soul of Boro stitching. In this class we will use simple running stitch and beautiful little scraps of fabric to make a patch to embellish a garment of your choice. We'll also show you how to mend and embellish directly onto your garment. Visible mending of jeans, shirts, and denim jackets is all the rage right now. Boro stitched garments and household objects sell for hundreds of dollars. You can create your own original hand-sewn creation for a fraction of the cost with the knowledge gained in this class. And no perfect stitching required!
Level: advanced beginner- should know how to thread a needle and be able to use scissors. Appropriate ages: children aged 12 or older and adults
We will cover:
- Managing the sashiko thread skein
- Threading the needle
- Arranging fabric scraps attractively and functionally
- Stitching a decorative patch with running stitch; stitching your patch to your garment
- Stitching directly to your garment with running stitch reinforcement
- Choice of fabrics to decorative patches
- Reverse applique technique for patching holes
- Options for other embroidery stitches
- Mending tips and hints
Cost of the materials kit: $10.00
Materials in your kit:
Needle, thread, notions, fabric and fabric scraps,instructional material
Kits are available for pickup from LexArt, 130 Waltham St., Lexington, MA, Mon-Fri 10 am - 4 pm.
Class recordings are provided for reference.
Boro Inspired Mending and Embellishment with Cheryl Moreau
Format Skill Level Materials Required Interactive Zoom Advanced beginner
Kit provided (cost:$10)